A Brief History of Woodside Hills
Woodside Hills was developed on approximately three hundred acres of land starting in 1938. Since the development of Woodside Hills predates the incorporation of Town of Woodside, there were no planning and building codes for the development of a well-designed, suburban, residential neighborhood. In order to enforce reasonable standards to provide for a well-designed community, purchase of a lot required the owner to accept protective Conditions, Covenants and Restrictions (CC&Rs). Woodside Hills Homes Association (WHHA) was established to enforce the CC&Rs. Establishment of CC&Rs portended the development of Woodside Hills as a pleasant, residential neighborhood with uniform lot sizes, similar building scale, a formal, landscaped entry area, and excellent roads with traffic islands planted with beautiful oak trees.
Unit One of Woodside Hills, consisting of seventy one mostly one-acre sized lots, was recorded on April 6, 1938. Over the years six more units were developed. The final seventh unit in the development was recorded in July 1976. Woodside Hills currently consists of 254 parcels. There are two undeveloped parcels.
The Town of Woodside was incorporated on November 16, 1956. The vote to incorporate passed with strong support from the residents of Woodside Hills. As a result of incorporation, maintenance of roads, trails or any land other than lots deeded to private ownership became the responsibility of the Town of Woodside and Woodside Hills came under the governance of the Town’s regulations, codes and ordinances.
The organization of the Town of Woodside consists of seven Districts, each represented by a Council member who must reside in the District but who is elected town-wide. Woodside Hills is District 5 of the Town of Woodside and has representatives on the Town Council and the Planning Commission.
Woodside Hills Homes Association (WHHA) continues to function to maintain the entry island and traffic islands through a maintenance contract with the Town of Woodside. The Board of WHHA meets monthly at Independence Hall in Woodside Town Center unless another location is announced. The Architectural Board approves the exterior esthetic elements of all new construction and remodels to maintain the unique suburban residential character of Woodside Hills. WHHA sponsors an annual “Meet Your Neighbor” event in late summer and the Annual Meeting early in the year. Dues are collected from owners annually to defray the expenses related to island maintenance, annual meetings and administrative costs.
And the Woodside Hills Homes Association's Articles of Incorporation, originally published in 1951, are available here: Download Articles of Incorporation
For some idea of the discussion surrounding the incorporation of the Town of Woodside, here is a document sent to residents of the area, urging a YES vote on incorporation in 1956, download this: Town of Woodside Incorporation Argument