Policy on Home Hardening and Defensible Space Matching Fund Program
Last Updated April 18, 2022
The WHHA will now assist residents in our HOA to perform home hardening and defensible space projects. Our policies for participation are simple.
- We will assist with any project exceeding $6,000 approved by the Town of Woodside for its Home Hardening and Defensible Space Matching Fund Program.
- The Town of Woodside already matches up to $3,000 at a 50% rate. That means, if you spend $6,000 or more on approved projects, the town will reimburse you $3,000. If you spend less, the town will reimburse half of that cost. If you only spend $3,000, the town will reimburse you $1,500. The WHHA will match up to $500 per year per parcel of expenses exceeding $6,000. This means if you spend $7,000 or more on approved projects, the town will reimburse $3,000 and the WHHA will reimburse $500.
- To qualify for this WHHA reimbursement, submit a copy of your approved paperwork from the Town of Woodside and receipts showing expenses exceeding $6,000 of approved work. Please be sure to include the original inspection and recommendation forms from the fire department.
- WHHA reserves the right to end this program at any time, for any reason, without explanation. Once the program is ended for a particular year, it will not made available again until at least the next year.
- Your paperwork should be submitted to Emerson “Chip” Swan, the Chair of the WHHA’s Emergency Preparedness Committee. Send vie email to ESwan@woodsidehills.org, or deliver in person at Chip’s home, 210 Crest Rd. Please let us know when you plan to begin any qualifying work. We are also happy to help you with the paperwork for the Town of Woodside’s program.
- Your request will be processed immediately, and you will be informed of the results. Checks will not be mailed out until the WHHA Board has reviewed each case at its next monthly meeting.
- Each property is eligible for, at most, $500 per year in matching funds.
Thank you for all the hard work that is being done to make our neighborhood a safer place to live.
Below, you will find some additional detail on the paperwork to send in. It’s just a copy of the things that were sent to Town of Woodside.
Emerson “Chip” Swan
WHHA Vice President, and Chair of the WHHA Emergency Preparedness Committee
The documents you need to send us are just the ones you send to the Town of Woodside.
On the Town of Woodside’s page, they explain the steps for their process.
- Obtain an application and contact the Woodside Fire Protection District at 851-1594 to schedule a Defensible Space/Home Hardening Assessment.
- Bring the completed and signed Application and Assessment to Woodside Town Hall.
- Town staff will notify you if the application has been approved.
- After receipt of the approved application, you may have the defensible space and/or home hardening work done on your property.
- Submit a copy of your Defensible Space/Home Hardening Assessment to Town Hall indicating which items have been completed. Include copies of paid invoices for the work.
- The Town will reimburse you for 50% of the accomplished work, up to a total of $3,000.
What we need to see (here at the WHHA) is
- The “approved application” described in step 4.
- The “copy of your Defensible Space/Home Hardening Assessment to Town Hall indicating which items have been completed. Include copies of paid invoices for the work.”
As described in step 5